Recipe: Madeleine Shaw’s Ultimate Choc Chip Cookies
Spoil your sweetheart with Madeleine Shaw’s ultimate choc chip cookies.
For us, Valentine’s Day is all about eating. Whether with mates or a date, it’s the perfect post-January excuse to enjoy something a little indulgent in the name of love (be that romantic love or self love – either works!).
What’s more, nothing says “I love you” like a home bake, especially when the tasty treat in question contains absolutely no gluten, refined sugar, or dairy (meaning you’ll just have to find another way to be naughty…).
These tasty treats can be whipped up in under half an hour, making them the ideal
last minute present.
Love at first bite.
- 150g coconut oil
- 175g coconut sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200g rice or buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g Ombar 72% chocolate, broken into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3, and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar in a food processor, then add the egg and vanilla and process again. Sift in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and process until fully combined.
- Throw the Ombar chocolate chunks into the dough and process for 30 seconds so they break down a little and are well mixed in.
- Roll the dough into walnut-size balls and place on a baking tray about 5cm apart. Bake for 12–14 minutes until golden around the outside, then remove from the oven and leave on the trays to cool and harden.
- Put the cookies on a beautiful serving plate, or wrap up in a gorgeous gift box, and present to your special someone.
Recipe by Madeleine Shaw – nutritional health coach, food blogger, and Sunday Times bestselling cookery writer